One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

March 23, 2010

A poem by Hugo Williams

A few months ago I heard this poem by Hugo Williams whilst he was in the running for the TS Eliot Prize 2009. I really liked the close observtions he made. It's quite a power to turn the mundane into something so touching like this. The poem is from his collection, West End Final.


Marital Visit ~ Hugo Williams


The odd thing put away
in the wrong place – cups and plates
back in the cupboard
that I always leave out,
curtains open on the street
that I always keep drawn,
remind me of your recent brief
progress through here,
looking for something in the attic.


How could I forget:
butter in the fridge, but never eggs,
burnt matches everywhere,
in spite of the gas lighter,
jam jars soaking in water
to get the labels off.
How typical of you
to give the Chinese teapot a last chance
to prove itself in company.

And look at that tea towel
slung like your signature
over the back of a chair.
I could weep for the small spoons
lying down with the forks,
the corkscrew with the tea strainer.
Leave them where they are forever?
Or harden my heart
and put them back where they belong?

No comments:

Post a Comment