One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

March 22, 2010

I speak because I can

Today I actually looked forward to the fact it was Monday because Laura Marling released her new album. After some cursing of iTunes I managed to download it and listen to it whilst working this morning. I drank an extra cup of coffee and regaled my ears with a gem.

I Speak because I can, Laura Marling
Over the weekend I've read some reviews, the first 5 stars I've seen for a while and I was hoping it wasn't overhyped. I put off buying her first album, not wanting to jump on the bandwagon. Temptation eventually won out and I've listened to it a lot.

Her new album, on first impressions, seems a lot more developed and complex. Rambling Man reminded me somewhat of Joni Mitchell's Blue, which is obviously a triumph in itself.

"If I sit here and weep I'll be blown over by the slightest breezes...Give me to a rambling man, let it always be known that I was who I am...Its hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire, as someone you don't want to be"

It's really strong and empowering. The instrumentation is accompanies the lyrics incredibly well and give it an american blues feel to the album. On Alas I cannot swim, Laura Marling's writing talents were really a huge strength. The lyrics are often storytelling and that continues on I Speak Because I Can. Her first album released when she was about 18 I think, now she seems to have more material and a more mature slant on things. I loved the heart-on-sleeve nature of the first album, but I think it was important for her new album to be different and a development from that. The album is really interesting because Marling can do rousing as well as melancholy, complex and stripped-down.

I think I'll be listening to this album a lot and forming my opinion based on that. But so far a stand out track for me is the title track. Sitar sounding guitars, occasional Chrissie Hind to her voice and lovingly crafted lyrics.
"I used to be so kind...In the braking of the morning we'll be dancing on my soft love, when you shaking out the anger that stops you from taking my coat, when your running up the highway singing Im the king, the king of you all, when you look back to where it started I'll be there waving you on"

Other recommendations: Alas I Cannot Swim (Laura Marling), Sea Sew (Lisa Hannigan), Blue (Joni Mitchell)

No comments:

Post a Comment