One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

March 03, 2010

Girl Power

Do it for the girls! I can't stand this kind of pro-feminist slang. I find it comes across to make females sound weak and pathetic, and let's face it- a bit of a joke. Nonetheless I've said already- feminism is a big 'yes'. But using the word 'girl' in a feminist statement is something of an oxymoron for me.

Anyway, the point is, I completely adore Women's Hour on BBC Radio 4, 10am weekdays. It's a small moment of brightening pleasure in my day. Sometimes I learn a bit, and usually thoroughly enjoy the chat. This week prior to Women's Hour Patti Smith is reading from her autobiographical novel. I don't know much about her but I really like the story. she writes beautifully. Another thing is I'm often irrationally drawn towards all things New York. I've never been, and quite possibly if or when I do go its shine will die a little. Patti Smith's story is one of finding your place, or finding a good place, and not trying to fit in somewhere you obviously won't be happy. Be yourself, and try hard. Good mantra for today.Thanks Patti.

No comments:

Post a Comment