One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

March 22, 2010

Mexican Food Made Simple


 
Having been to Mexico and experienced the food there, I am infactuated to say the least. However, I am now a foodie snob and scoff at many popular references to so called 'mexican food'. Food in Mexico is not just a commodity it is a huge part of their culture, history and pride. Tex-mex- It. Is. Not.

The food is rich and sumptuous. Offers at Day of the Dead, often include food- a sign of the most precious thing they can give. From the chocolate and chiles in Mole, to the  guacamole, corn tortillas, tamales, churros, horchata, tinga and esquite. The list is endless and a veritible feast for heart and soul. In Mexico I didn't manage to bring back a cookery book and looking here in England I thought I'd have to make another visit just to do so.

But Masterchef winner Thomasina Miers has come to my culinary rescue with Mexican Food Made Easy. Having spent a good deal of time in Mexico and now opening the slightly unfortunately named Wahaca....why it is not Oaxaca, I do not know...in London to rave reviews, she's now bought out a Mexican cooking book, Mexican Food Made Simple. When amazon faithfully delivered the hardback brick, I was amazed at how interesting and Mexican the recipes were.

They're also, true to the title, easy to follow and have some nice stories and musings to help it go down. A few of the recipes use a master-recipe of roasted tomata salsa. Using this I made the chicken and corn humble pie. The sauce has a good punch to it, the recipe is really quite flexible and good for left over chicken and it has a light corn-based topping. It went down well and 'pretty mexican' with my Mexican guest. Tlayudas are high up on my next-to-try list.

Mexican food made simple seems like a real winner for anyone who loves the authentic mexican food. Perfect for dinner parties too, which I like because Mexico is such a friendly interactive place and food is really central to social and family life. There's also a section on the types of chile and herbs to use and a directory of Mexican food shops in the UK. A long over due Mexican cooking book that allows me to lust after mexico once more.

Ñam!
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment