One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

March 08, 2010

Exuberance is beauty

 

On Friday, I went to the Manchester Art Gallery. I saw some Goya, Hockney, Freud, Valette, Lowry, Hodgkin, Giacometti and Bacon. There was an interesting exhibiton of Eastern modern art, which reminded me in parts of Banksy. I managed to go to see the Banksy exhibition at Bristol Art Gallery, which was surreal and pretty special. The Times have a good article on Banksy at the moment. 

The second exhibiton was by Ron Mueck, an australian sculptor. Made of resin and hard laborious work, his large sculptors are an intimate portrayal of man at his most exposed.

I also met Modigliani for the first time. There is something of a mask-like quality in the face of this painting, Portrait of an unkown model. It held me there, lingering over the painting for short time. It was a funny feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment