One day I wrote some stuff. One day you read it.

Pages

April 01, 2010

The Delicious Miss Dahl on Romance

I'm a fair and rational person. And I cannot ignore The Delicious Miss Dahl, I.II. I think it only fair to review episode two of the Delicious Miss Dahl series to give you good foodie friends a further insight and hopefully a gentle push in the direction of iPlayer. Romance was the theme of this week's programme and that, granted, is unlikely to fail with me. From the outset, one knows this will do all the right things and lull us into that false sense of idealised romanticism, however in love and romance I am certainly not a fair and rational person, and I always succumb.


my ode to love
I liked Sophie Dahl in this episode of the Delicious Miss Dahl. From it I'd say she's definitely had her fair share of heart ache and is therefore educated sufficiently in the subject matter to woo us with her food. I have to say Buckwheat Blinis are on now firmly my cookery-based to-do list.  I liked her twists in the classic Shepard's pie, and cooking scallops. In their shells. On the barbecue. Oh come on, it oozes over-the-top-excesses of romantic liason. Being a bit overly curious, I did wonder when and where she filmed this episode, because I certainly missed the barbecue-summer that warranted outdoor cooking in a halterneck dress.

Again the programme reawakened my hibernating music muses including Sia's I go to sleep and Regina Spektor's Eet. And she included a poem by Wendy Cope, After the Lunch,  which I heart muchly, and an excerpt from the Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford. I also newly discovered, He Loved Three Things by Anna Akhmatova.

On Waterloo Bridge, where we said our goodbyes,
the weather conditions bring tears to my eyes.
I wipe them away with a black woolly glove
And try not to notice I've fallen in love."

~ Wendy Cope, After the Lunch

What I liked about this programme was that it wasn't too obvious. It didn't go down the gushy pulp road. Graveyards and old bookshops was a refreshingly new look at love. And she almost hit that, 'I thought only I thought that' button. I think, in a way, this style is quite 'cool' these days. But when you're throwing rationality and fairness out of the window, I'll let the Delicious Miss Dahl off.

Food as an expression of decadent love. I wholeheartedly concur.

1 comment:

  1. can you please write the excerpt she read from nancy mitford's book, i can't seem to find it anywhere online

    ReplyDelete